What are your plans for the weekend? How about adding a little spooktacular excitement into the mix! Disney is celebrating the “halfway to Halloween” and we are along for the ride. DisneyParksBlog has unleashed their top five picks for celebrating right at home. Check it out below!
As part of our #Halfway2Halloween takeover at Disney Parks, we’re digging up five favorite ways to have some spook-tacular fun at home! Whether it’s a delightfully ghoulish DIY project, a creepily creative candy apple or a not-so-scary digital wallpaper for your device, check out our list of Disney surprises:
1 – Make One of These Not-So-Scary DIY projects
Our first way to celebrate #Halfway2Halloween is with a bewitchingly wondrous series of DIY projects.
- Make your own ‘Nightmare Before Christmas’-Inspired Candy Pouch
- Create Your Own Disney Halloween Pumpkin
- Design a Disney Haunted Mansion Butler Costume
- Make Your Own Madame Leota Crystal Ball
2 – Harken Back to Halloween Past
Celebrate #Halfway2Halloween with a fascinating look at the history of Halloween at Disney Parks.
- Happy Haunts and Grinning Ghosts
- Haunted Mansion Opening Day
- The Anaheim Halloween Parade and Disney’s Spooktacular Past, from our friends at D23: The Official Disney Fan Club
3 – Learn Something New about The Haunted Mansion
One of our favorite attractions is The Haunted Mansion, so add to the #Halfway2Halloween fun with these facts:
- The idea for a haunted house at Disneyland was included in an early concept design sketch by Harper Goff dating back to 1952, when Disneyland was still being conceptualized.
- Within a week of the Haunted Mansion’s opening, Disneyland celebrated what was then its highest single-day attendance.
- 20 tombstone tributes exist both inside and around the exterior of the attraction. The epitaphs on the tombstones were written to honor several Disney Legends and Walt Disney Imagineers who created and maintain the attraction.
- The final exterior concept for the house is heavily influenced by the Victorian-era Shipley-Lydecker House in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Thurl Ravenscroft is the voice of “Uncle Theodore” who leads the “Phantom Five” quintet of singing headstones. His voice can also be heard at Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room as the voice of both Fritz and Tangaroa.
- The pipe organ seen in the ballroom sequence was featured as Captain Nemo’s pipe organ in the Disney film classic, “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.” For more details, check out George’s story here.
- Leota Toombs, a former Walt Disney Imagineer and Disney Legend, served as the famous face of Madame Leota.
- The Hatbox Ghost was featured in Haunted Mansion when the attraction first opened. Then, he mysteriously vanished, only to reappear in 2015 in time for the 60th anniversary of Disneyland.
Plus, we’d like to introduce you to 13 of the attraction’s residents at Disneyland Resort.
4 – Create a Special Candy Apple
Also, you can choose from a variety of Halloween candy apple tutorials to celebrate #Halfway2Halloween. Each of these apples are coated with delicious candies, colored sugar and more.
- Mickey Pumpkin Candy Apple
- Witch Minnie Candy Apple
- Mickey Ghost Candy Apple
- Poison Skull Candy Apple
- Apple Pie Candy Apple
5 – Add some Spooky fun to Your Devices
For #Halfway2Halloween, you must also dig into our dozens of spooky Disney Parks Blog wallpapers and customize your desktop and mobile devices with Disney magic. Click on your favorite wallpaper above to download, or head to our wallpaper page and search for “Halloween” for a variety of designs and sizes!
And we have an extra bonus way to have fun with your #Halfway2Halloween festivities – check out this Disney+ watch list of top not-so-scary favorites:
- Hocus Pocus
- Nightmare Before Christmas
- The Haunted Mansion
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
- Descendants 2
- Descendants 3
Plus, don’t miss this musical Halloween Special, “Disney Hall of Villains,” from our friends at Disney Channel and Radio Disney. And for more halloween fun check out Freeform’s 31 Nights of Halloween Instagram account.
We hope you enjoyed our list of spook-tacular ways to enjoy #Halfway2Halloween at home. Show us your creations with #DisneyMagicMoments and #Halfway2Halloween.