I am sure you are all aware about the solar eclipse that is expected on Monday, August 21st. In the Central Florida area, the eclipse is expected to cause an 80% to 90% blockage of the sun. There is a possibility for a brief period of darkness between 2:30 PM and 3:30 PM EST. This is sure to create some great photos and views of the different landmarks and buildings around the theme parks. There have been no official activities or special events announced by Disney, but there have been changes to operational hours to certain events and attractions around Walt Disney World to help ensure guest safety.
Here are the current operational changes at specific attractions:
- Tom Sawyer Island: The attraction is scheduled to close on 2 PM and will remain closed the rest of the day.
- Trails: The walking trails at the park will close prior to the eclipse starting and then will open again once the eclipse is over.
- Blizzard Beach: Will close as needed depending on the level of darkness. There will be various entertainment on the beach. Some nighttime lighting has been added, but Typhoon Lagoon is more equipped for darkness, so there will be buses running directly form Blizzard Beach to Typhoon Lagoon during 1:30 PM to 2:45 PM.
- Typhoon Lagoon: Guests will be able to enjoy the park even during any darkness. The park is equipped with nighttime lighting, so there should be no impact to enjoying this water park.
Recreation and Transportation:
- Sammy Duvall’s Watersports Centre: The center will be closed from 12 PM to 5 PM. All lake activities will be closed for the day.
- Ferry Transportation: It looks like the ferry and boat transportation will be closed from 12 PM to 5 PM in accordance with the closure of all lake activities.
We will keep you posted on other changes and announcements planned for those of you who plan to enjoy the solar eclipse at Walt Disney World. Who will be at Walt Disney World on Monday?