Menu

‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ Returning, Disney Issues Statement

A man with short dark hair and a beard, wearing a suit and tie, stands against a dark blue background with a crescent moon visible. He has a serious, slightly skeptical expression.
Credit: Disney/ABC

It has not been a good week to be The Walt Disney Company. Last week, Disney and ABC announced they would immediately pull Jimmy Kimmel Live! off the air after Mr. Kimmel’s comments about Charlie Kirk and Donald Trump. Disney reportedly made the choice after its two biggest affiliate broadcasters — NexStar Media and Sinclair Broadcasting — said they would not be airing the show on any of their local stations.

The backlash against Disney was swift and unrelenting. They were condemned by the Producers Guild, the Writers Guild, the Screen Actors Guild, as well as some of its most notable stars. In addition, former President Barack Obama and former Disney CEO Michael Eisner addressed the issue, saying that Disney did the wrong thing.

Jimmy Kimmel sat in front of a mirror with "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" written on the right
Credit: ABC Promotional Image

Related: Disney Stock Tumbles, Streaming Cancellations Crash Site Amid Kimmel Chaos

Within a couple of days of his suspension, Mr. Kimmel’s legal team reportedly met with Disney, and discussions were underway about how to get his show back on the air. One of the biggest roadblocks appeared to come from Sinclair Broadcasting, which issued a list of demands that Mr. Kimmel would have to meet if he wanted to get back in their good graces, including apologizing for what he said.

Mr. Kimmel reportedly told Disney that he would not apologize for his comments, which he said were being “mischaracterized.”

And now, it appears that the two sides have actually come to an agreement.

Jimmy Kimmel Live
Credit: Video Screenshot, ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’, ABC

Related: Stephen Colbert Uses ‘Beauty and the Beast’ for Brutal Disney Takedown After Jimmy Kimmel’s Cancellation

According to a report from DeadlineJimmy Kimmel Live! will return to late-night on Tuesday, September 23. Disney further issued a statement, saying it suspended the show due to statements it felt were “insensitive.”

A spokesman said, “Last Wednesday, we made the decision to suspend production on the show to avoid further inflaming a tense situation at an emotional moment for our country.  It is a decision we made because we felt some of the comments were ill-timed and thus insensitive.  We have spent the last days having thoughtful conversations with Jimmy, and after those conversations, we reached the decision to return the show on Tuesday.”

Disney has not revealed if Mr. Kimmel agreed to meet any of Sinclair’s demands.

Bob Iger Jimmy Kimmel
Credit: Video Screenshot, ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’, ABC

Related: Jimmy Kimmel’s Removal: Disney’s Business Decision To Take the Late Night Host off the Air

NexStar and Sinclair were not the only ones to go after Disney and Jimmy Kimmel after the host’s comments. Brendan Carr, the chair of the Federal Communications Commission, went on a podcast after Mr. Kimmel’s show and said that Disney could do things “the easy way or the hard way.” He also said that affiliate broadcasters, like NexStar and Sinclair, should refuse to air Jimmy Kimmel Live! or they could also get in trouble with the FCC.

Despite Disney appearing to cooperate with Mr. Carr’s thinly veiled threat, the FCC chair continued to keep Disney in his sights, telling a different podcast that he was considering having the FCC take a look at The View to see if it violated the Equal Opportunity Rule.

Are you glad to hear that Jimmy Kimmel Live! is returning to ABC’s late-night lineup? Do you think the show should have been suspended in the first place? Share your thoughts on the Jimmy Kimmel controversy with us in the comments!

About Krysten Swensen

A born and bred New England girl living the Disney life in Southern California. I love to read, to watch The Golden Girls, and love everything to do with Disney and Universal. I also love to share daily doses of Disney on my Disney Instagram @BrazzleDazzleDisney!

One comment

  1. Charlotte Diane Webb

    As a Christian I was appalled at Jimmy’s comments on air. At no time is it okay to speak about someone that way after they have passed regardless of your political views and religious beliefs. Charlie Kirk was a man of God, husband and father of two small children. He if allowed to return on air needs to publicly apologize to Erika Kirk and his family and friends I was proud that Disney had pulled him off air. In my opinion he doesn’t deserve to be in a place where comments like that are heard.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.