Menu
Credit: Disney

Orange County Mayor Says Masks Should Be Worn Indoors Once Again With COVID Resurge

Well, we have some news that no one wants to hear. As Walt Disney World removes mask requirements and social distancing, increases their capacity, and brings back fireworks and entertainment, the last thing we want to talk about is about COVID-19. Unfortunately, Orange County, which much of Walt Disney World property resides in, is currently experiencing a resurge in COVID-19 cases. Enough so that the Orange County Mayor says masks need to be worn indoors.

Credit: WDW Cast and Community Facebook

As reported by OrlandoSentinel: “Amid a surge in new COVID-19 infections — powered by the delta variant taking root in unvaccinated people — Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings said Monday (7/12) vaccinated people should strongly consider wearing face masks while in crowded places indoors. Demings, in issuing his warning, said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has shifted the county back into the “high risk” category. He said he wasn’t issuing a mandate, but a “strong recommendation.””

The report goes on to say, “Caseloads are skyrocketing in Orange County, almost exclusively among unvaccinated people, said Dr. Raul Pino, the local state health officer, and warned numbers could further climb. “This is a moment of truth in our county. This is an unvaccinated issue,” Pino said. “It’s up to you to take it and make that decision.””

Credit: Disney

406 cases were reported in Orange County on Sunday, with 400 cases reported daily since Thursday in the county. The numbers have doubled from the previous week. About 60% of eligible people have at least one dose of vaccine, leaving about 40% without protection in Orange County.

Disney has yet to comment on the Mayor’s announcement. With the CDC moving the county back into the “high risk” category, we’re curious to see if Disney will make any adjustments. As of May 15, masks were no longer required outdoors for vaccinated guests at Walt Disney World. The mask mandate for indoor attractions was removed on June 15 for vaccinated guests. Of course, Disney is not checking for proof of vaccination, and nearly everyone visiting Disney World does not wear a mask. We’re almost a month in with no masks but unfortunately, this news makes us unsure of what Disney may be discussing. We’ll keep you posted as we learn more. In the meantime, stay safe Disney friends!

Source: OrlandoSentinel

About Mike/ Jamie

We are Disney nerds. Two kids at heart who love the magic and the memories of Walt Disney World! We follow all things Disney and have great experiences with Disney Vacation Club and RunDisney events in particular. We enjoy the vacations, day trips, weekend getaways and geek out over the planning of such events. From lodging to dining to Fastpasses we have a spreadsheet for every occasion. Mike’s frivolous Disney goal is to acquire a magic band of every style while Jamie’s goal is to experience as many Disney desserts as possible. Usually there isn’t a day that passes without some discussion of the master plan of our next trip to the happiest place on earth. Most people think we’re normal – until they travel to Disney with us. We have been married for 16 years and are blessed with a daughter and a son who have already learned the importance of planning ahead! As a family we thoroughly enjoy the magic and the memories at Walt Disney World and are here to help others experience the magic as well.