Credit: Disney
D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event wrapped up in Anaheim last weekend, and Sunday brought the moment a lot of attendees look forward to most.
The Disney Legends ceremony is the company’s highest individual honor. Performers, Imagineers, executives, and creatives get recognized for work that shaped Disney across decades. It is the closest thing the company has to a hall of fame, and induction carries real weight inside the fan community.
The 2026 class included Susan Egan, Eric Goldberg, Anne Hathaway, Bob Iger, Kim Irvine, Dwayne Johnson, the Jonas Brothers, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Alan Tudyk, Jerry Bruckheimer, and Chris Berman.
Every year, the conversation afterward is partly about who made it and partly about who did not. This year one name dominated that second conversation, and the voice actor attached to it made his own feelings clear.
What Jim Cummings Said
Following the ceremony, Jim Cummings reshared several fan posts questioning why he has still not received the honor. He summed up his own reaction in a short message. “40 years. 1500 characters. The voice of generations. No comment.” That is the entire statement, and the “no comment” landing is doing a lot of work.
The Disney Career Behind the Frustration
The case fans have been making is not hard to follow. Cummings has spent four decades voicing Disney characters, including Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Pete, Darkwing Duck, Ray from The Princess and the Frog, Hondo Ohnaka, and Ed from The Lion King. He also famously stepped in to complete part of “Be Prepared” after Jeremy Irons lost his voice. A fan petition calling for his induction was launched earlier this year after the 2026 class was announced. For guests who grew up hearing these characters, the argument writes itself. Few voices are more embedded in the Disney catalog.
Why the Conversation Turned
Here is where this stopped being a simple snub story. As the calls for Cummings to be inducted spread across social media, other users began pointing to allegations of sexual and emotional abuse that have been publicly discussed regarding Cummings. One widely shared post put it directly: “Reminder that there are allegations of sexual and emotional abuse regarding Jim Cummings, so I dunno maybe do some research before yelling at Disney about not making him a Legend.”It is important to be precise here. These are allegations. Disney has not commented on them, has not connected them to any decision about the Legends program, and has never publicly explained why any individual has or has not been selected. There is no confirmed link between the allegations and Cummings not being inducted. Anyone claiming otherwise is speculating.View on Threads
Disney Fans Are Genuinely Split
The reaction across social media has broken in several directions, and it is worth representing all of them. A number of people said they were learning about the allegations for the first time. “I had no idea about those things until now,” one user wrote. Another said the information changed their view. “Yikes I didn’t know and now regret even liking threads about how he should be a legend.” Others pushed back on the accusations directly. “The skeletons are flimsy at best hon. Like, made of rubber,” one user responded. And plenty of people stayed focused on the career argument regardless. “TBF I’d be salty too if I wasn’t recognized that way after voicing literal HUNDREDS of characters across different studios,” wrote one. Another was blunter. “He deserves to have a legend award and Disney is ridiculous not to give him one. Jim has worked for over 40 years as voice actor and over 1500 voices for characters. It is insane that they haven’t.”