If you are looking at ways to impress your friends and family with your baking skills, consider these icebox cookies. We like that you are able to cut off what you want and bake up just those cookies saving the rest for later fun.
- 2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 egg + 2 yolks, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp fine salt
- Gel or powder food colors, like black cocoa or matcha
- Bench flour, if needed
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp water
- ¼ cup royal icing, tinted in the color of the character you are making
- 2 Tbsp red fondant, for Donald
- 2 Tbsp pink fondant, for Daisy
- Chocolate chips or dots, for Goofy
- 2 12 x ½-inch square dowels
- Rolling pin
- Piping bags
- Small dot piping tips
- Mini flower cookie cutter (optional)
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter together with the powdered sugar. Add in the whole egg, egg yolks, and vanilla or almond extract. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. On low, gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl down periodically so that everything gets incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours until chilled.
2. Divide the dough into eight equal pieces. To make one strip of dough that is 7 inches long, 2 inches wide, and ½ an inch thick, you will need approximately ¾ cup of prepared cookie dough, which is one-eighths of this cookie dough recipe. According to the colors needed for one character, knead food coloring into the ¾ cup of dough until it is even throughout. Roll this dough into a 5-inch flattened log. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough in between two square dowels, spaced 3 inches apart. If the dough sticks, use bench flour. Using a ruler and a sharp knife, trim the dough into a 7 x 2-inch rectangle.
3. For a Mickey-inspired cookie dough log, you will need two black strips of dough and two red strips of dough. For a Minnie-inspired cookie dough log, you will need three red strips of dough and one yellow strip of dough. Each strip should be 7 inches long, x2 inches wide, and ½ an inch thick. Use a mixture of egg white mixed with water to “glue” four strips of dough together to make one character cookie log.
4. For a Donald Duck-inspired cookie dough log, you will need three blue strips of dough and one white strip of dough. For a Daisy Duck-inspired cookie dough log, you will need three pink strips of dough and one white strip of dough. Each strip should be 7 inches long, 2 inches wide, and ½ an inch thick. Use a mixture of egg white mixed with water to “glue” four strips of dough together to make one character cookie log.
5. For a Goofy-inspired cookie dough log, you will need one green strip of dough, two black strips of dough, and one gray strip of dough. For a Pluto-inspired cookie dough log, you will need two black strips of dough and two orange strips of dough. Each strip should be 7 inches long, 2 inches wide, and ½ an inch thick. Use a mixture of egg white mixed with water to “glue” four strips of dough together to make one character cookie log.
6. The cookie dough logs for these Mickey & Friends Icebox Cookies can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 12 months. For best results, tightly wrap the dough logs with plastic wrap and place in an airtight container.
7. When it’s time to bake, preheat the oven to 350˚F. Take a cookie log out of the fridge. Trim the uneven sides of the log with a chef’s knife. Slice the dough into ¼-inch thick slices.
8. Place the cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until slightly puffed but not browned.
9. After the cookies have cooled completely, decorate them with tinted royal icing fitted into piping bags. For Mickey, pipe two yellow royal icing dots. For Minnie, pipe many white royal icing mini dots. For Donald, pipe white royal icing buttons & attach a bowtie cut from red fondant. For Daisy, pipe turquoise and lavender royal icing lines. Attach a bow and a daisy made from pink fondant. For Goofy, use tan royal icing to pipe his vest, and attach a chocolate dot or chip for his button. For Pluto, pipe a red royal icing collar.
10. Enjoy Mickey & Friends Icebox Cookies whenever you fancy a sweet treat!