Disney Parks Blog is debuting a new series, #WomenBehindtheMagic, which celebrates the women who are dedicated to making magic for Disney guests each and every day. The first in the series gives us a look at some of the women who were crucial to creating Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge for Walt Disney World and Disneyland. These women contributed to the new themed land in a variety of ways from design to story creation and beyond. Take a look at some of these amazing women and their roles below:
- Kirstin Makela, Art Director: responsible for upholding the creative integrity of the project, guiding various teams through the design and fabrication process to ensure that everyone was working towards a cohesive final product.
- Margaret Kerrison, Story Editor: responsible for guiding Star Wars related story initiatives throughout all Disney lands, resorts, and attractions, including the backstory of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its characters.
- Kristina Dewberry, Construction Manager: responsible for managing the logistics of the construction aspects of the land, coordinating with various teams to ensure the project ran smoothly.
- Kappy Thorsen, General Manager at Disneyland Park: responsible for recruiting and training cast members as they prepared for their important roles as inhabitants of the planet Batuu.
- Kathryn Yancy, Audio-Animatronics Technology Mechanical Engineer: responsible for the technology behind the creation of some of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge’s colorful characters.
Of course these are just a few women among the thousands of cast members who work hard every day to use their talents to create magic and experiences for guests, including Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort. All of these efforts are important and come together to create unforgettable moments for guests.
Congrats to these amazing women on their accomplishments and we look forward to learning about more women behind the magic!
Photo and Source Credit: Disney Parks Blog