Spaceship Earth debuted in Walt Disney World when EPCOT opened in October 1982. Its iconic geodesic shape has remained a symbol of the Park, housing a classic Disney dark ride populated by audio-animatronics and serving as the thesis for the theme Park.
But how well do you know the over-40-year-old attraction? In honor of the significant changes coming to EPCOT, we present ten questions about the popular omnimover ride.
1. How tall is the attraction?
Answer: Spaceship Earth sits 180 feet high with a 165-foot diameter.
2. What famous actress provides the voice for the narration?
Answer: Dame Judi Dench is the ride’s current narrator.
3. What is the first audio-animatronic scene on the ride?
Answer: A scene of early human beings communicating with cave paintings.
4. AT&T, Siemens, or Samsung…which was never a ride sponsor?
Answer: Samsung has never had any affiliation with Spaceship Earth.
5. How many languages can you choose from at the beginning of the ride?
Answer: You can pick one of six languages.
6. What year was the Mickey Mouse wand ADDED to the top of the sphere?
Answer: 1999 in celebration of the year 2000.
7. What year was the Mickey Mouse wand REMOVED from the top of the sphere?
8. Spaceship Earth was the first attraction to use the “smellitzer” scent distribution system. What scene was it used on?
Answer: The fall of Rome. The system was used to create the scent of smoke.
9. How many narrators have the ride had since its debut?
Answer: Four. In addition to the current version with Dame Judi Dench, there was Vic Perrin (original), Walter Cronkite, and Jeremy Irons.
10. There used to be an audio-animatronic scene of actors performing Oedipus Rex in Ancient Greek. What was it replaced with?
Answer: A scene in which a single audio-animatronic teaches mathematics to three sitting students.
How’d you do?
0 – 3 Correct – There’s no shame in a score this bad. It means you have a life outside your Disney fandom…and that’s a good thing!
4 – 7 Correct – Not bad. You may need to plan a trip to EPCOT for a little refresh. Or at least watch some Youtube videos to learn more about the attraction.
8 – 10 Correct – Impressive. You must love EPCOT and Spaceship Earth. You have my sympathy over how much the Park has changed since 1982.