The classic attraction debuted in Walt Disney World when the Magic Kingdom opened in October 1971. The idea for a haunted house attraction came from Walt Disney himself. However, he passed away before his actual vision could be realized. Nevertheless, Imagineers created the iconic dark ride after Walt’s passing, utilizing their skills and design talents to create what is today arguably the quintessential Disney ride.
But how well do you foolish mortals know the Haunted Mansion? In honor of the 999 ghosts, let us present nine questions about the popular attraction.
1. What is the name of the famous song played throughout the ride?
Answer: “Grim Grinning Ghosts,” by Buddy Baker and Xavier Atencio.
2. What year did the original ride open at Disneyland in California?
Answer: It debuted at Disneyland in August 1969.
3. How many portraits are in the Stretching Room?
Answer: There are four: the bearded man standing on dynamite, the young lady walking a tightrope over an alligator, the old woman sitting on a grave, and the man sitting on a second man, sitting on a third man in quicksand.
4. What themed land of the Magic Kingdom is the Haunted Mansion located in?
Answer: It is located in Liberty Square.
5. How many hitchhiking ghosts are there?
RELATED: Details on Tower of Terror Movie
Answer: There are three.
6. What are the names of the hitchhiking ghosts?
Answer: Although sometimes known as the Traveler, the Skeleton, and the Prisoner, they are named Phineas, Ezra, and Gus, respectively.
7. How many singing busts perform “Grim Grinning Ghosts” in the graveyard?
Answer: There are five singing busts in the graveyard.
8. What is the name of “The Black Widow Bride” who haunts the attic?
Answer: Her name is Constance Hatchway.
9. The original voice of the Ghost Host was Paul Frees. What other Disney attractions did he lend his voice talents to?
Answer: Pirates of the Caribbean, the former Adventure Thru Inner Space at Disneyland, and the original Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.
0 – 2 Correct – you’re probably overdue for a trip to Disney World.
3 – 5 Correct – Not bad. You may not NEED to book a trip to Disney to refresh just yet. Maybe in a year?
6 – 8 Correct – Impressive. Better than I would have scored if I hadn’t been writing the questions myself.
9 Correct – A perfect score? Hmm…I’m skeptical. Are you a Cast Member? Disney Tips employee? Disney Historian? Maybe next time, I’ll have to make the questions harder…
Well, however, you did, please join me in hoping the upcoming film does the classic attraction justice!