Today is the BIG DAY! Disney has FINALLY revealed the grand opening date for EPCOT’s newest incoming attraction, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind.
As much of EPCOT is still under construction for the four neighborhood transformations, Disney Imagineers’ hard work is paying off! We’ve seen walls erect for Journey of Water Inspired by Moana in World Nature, plus a new quick-service restaurant called Connections Cafe & Eatery will open this spring in World Celebration.
Of course, our focus right now is solely on the incredible new Disney Park indoor rollercoaster in EPCOT’s World Discovery neighborhood. Details of Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind have been few and far between, but we do know height requirements, the first look photos of the indoor queue, and even the gift shop that will be associated with the ride.
And now, we know the OPENING date! It seems like when the Disney Executive, Geoff Morrell accidentally leaked the grand opening of Memorial Day Weekend… he was right on! Disney Parks Blog has announced that Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is set to officially debut on May 27 at EPCOT!
This Walt Disney World Resort’s family-thrill coaster will feature Guests coming from the planet Xandar to Earth to create the first “other-world” showcase at EPCOT – the Wonders of Xandar pavilion.
Technology and culture will envelop the pavilion as the two worlds collide. But wait… something unexpected happens! Check out Disney’s video below:
What did we just see? Check out the details below from Disney as they bullet point moments not to miss in the video above:
- Someone shouts, “This is an SOS from Nova Corps … Our outpost on Earth’s EPCOT is in danger!” The Nova Corps is Xandar’s peacekeeping team serving as protectors of their planet and the broader Andromeda Galaxy, which is where Xandar is located. This must be a Nova Corps officer alerting us to an urgent situation.
- Clearly, the Xandarians have come to EPCOT to oversee the Wonders of Xandar pavilion. I can tell because Spaceship Earth is visible outside the window, gleaming in all its glory. Oh, and because it says “EPCOT – Walt Disney World Resort” right there on the screen (nothing gets by me, I tell ya). But something is amiss because …
- Someone who appears to be a Nova Corps soldier shouts out, “Everything is disappearing!” And, yep, we see things – people, clouds, you name it – literally zipping backward out of existence. Rewinding, perhaps? Hmm …
- The officer is holding up a viewscreen communicator, and then we flash to the other end of that line … to the familiar confines of an M-Ship cockpit, where Peter Quill, a.k.a. Star-Lord, and a few of our other favorite Guardians of the Galaxy are relaxing between missions.
- Rocket is absorbed in apparently trying to “fix” Quill’s Awesome Mix tape. Thankfully, Groot is at least paying some passing attention to what’s happening on the screen in front of them and unmutes the volume – just in time to hear a distress call …
- “Help the galaxy – before it’s too late!” the officer urges – and then she, too, disappears … along with Spaceship Earth! Now we have Rocket’s attention, too, even if Star-Lord is peacefully snoozing away. (He’s been asleep this whole time? Typical.)
- Always considering himself the captain of the ship anyway, Rocket promptly takes the controls and decides to blast off for EPCOT. Because, as he says, “It’s save the galaxy time – again.”
- This is where we’ll come in, I think. As Rocket fires up the ship, we see other people zooming around the screen in Starjumpers, a type of Xandarian spacecraft. And just as the clip ends, Rocket takes the M-Ship into a jump point – the technology that allows Xandarians to travel vast distances of space in mere moments. And that’s it!
There you have it Disney fans! The Guardians of the Galaxy are on their way to EPCOT for an intergalactic chase through time and space. It all begins May 27, 2022, when the Cosmic Rewind roller coaster will wow EPCOT visitors with an attraction experience like no other!